We received the following from Cyrus Todiwala OBE and thought we would share it with others, in memory of Chef Andrew Bennett MBE.
Cyrus Todiwala OBE: “Andrew was a great man who worked tirelessly to help develop future generations of chefs.
“It was only a few weeks ago that Andrew resigned as Chairman of the Craft Guild of Chefs realising that cancer was close to finally getting the better of him.
“A gentleman and a first class person and viewed by many as a giant amongst men, notwithstanding his 6’3” stature.
“He was a very good friend and whilst he was not doing very well with his own prostate cancer he was always concerned about mine and how I was faring.
“It’s strange that as chefs go we take things for granted and soon discover that we are not invincible and the message ought to be that everyone one of us needs to get tested once we are past a certain age. Enough is spoken and said about Prostate cancer but too few listen.
“For Andrew it was really sad that as soon as he retired he was discovered to have the dreaded disease and his battle to get better began.
“He gave his all and he gave so much to the world of chefs especially through competitions and encouraging young chefs to take the challenge and go forth to success. It was a privilege for Zest Quest Asia to have Andrew as the Chair of Judges.
“Andrew was a super judge and I have learnt so much form him over the years. His frequent silent periods through judging was driven by a focus to ensure fairness was observed, his judgements were always accurate and balanced.
Andrew possessed a great sense of humour, was very witty and a much loved person amongst his peers, juniors and seniors.
Long may his memory last and we hope Andrew rests in eternal peace.
Cyrus Todiwala OBE
Andrew Bennett MBE received many awards during his career including:
- President’s award – Park Lane Hotel – Jan 2000
- Banqueting Chef of the year – The Craft Guilds of Chefs – June 2000
- Tiffany Star Award for Excellence Links with Education – HCPTA – June 2005
- Presidents award – Park Lane Hotel – Jan 2007
- Citizen of Luton Award – Recognition for services towards the development of young people in education and the hospitality industry – Luton Borough Council – Jan 2008
- Manager of the year – Park Lane Hotel – Jan 2009
- MBE – Services towards the development of young talent within the hospitality industry – Buckingham Palace Oct 2010
- Chairman’s Award – Services to – The Craft Guilds of Chefs – Dec 2011
- Manager of the year – The Park Lane Hotel – Jan 2012
- Special award – The Craft Guilds of Chefs – for services in the industry and the raising of £150k for Keech Hospice – May 2017
- Banqueting Chef of the Year, Manager of the Year.
News from the hospitality and catering industry is also being featured extensively in our Facebook and twitter social media accounts with the opportunity to engage with others in hospitality and share your views.
Hospitality & Catering News: Andrew Bennett MBE, a eulogy from a friend – 1 February 2021 – Andrew Bennett MBE, a eulogy from a friend.
Copyright: All content in Hospitality & Catering News is protected by copyright.