1 packet trifle sponges, broken into piece
½ packet of amaretti biscuits
- 150ml of a good quality whisky (Monkey’s shoulder or Macallan 12 year old)
- 1 tbsp cognac
- 4 tbsp blackberry or raspberry jam
- 450g fresh blackberries
- 450g fresh raspberries
- 85g toasted flaked almonds
- 600ml ready-made custard
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- 425ml/15fl oz double cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 orange, grated
- Lay the sponge pieces and biscuits in the base of a deep glass dish. Pour over the whisky and cognac and leave to soak in for a few minutes.
- Warm the jam until it is runny then pour over the soaked sponge and biscuits. Sprinkle the fruit and flaked almonds on top then pour over the custard.
- For the topping put lemon juice into a bowl and stir in the sugar until it dissolves.
- Pour in the cream with a pinch of nutmeg. Whisk together using a wire balloon whisk until it holds its shape, you are looking for a soft peak stage here with the cream.
- Spoon over the trifle and chill, preferably overnight.
- To garnish scatter with grated orange rind and/or flaked toasted almonds.
This recipe was provided to H&C News by Chef Craig Floate and we would like to thank Craig for his recipe, can’t wait to try it.
Craig provides a variety of chef services as detailed in his website.
Craig can be contacted by phone on : 07845 083 793