Since presenting the Relais & Châteaux ‘Vision’ at UNESCO in 2014, the association has been committed to defending the rights of culinary diversity. One of the missions for Relais & Châteaux is to protect the world’s biodiversity and the preservation of fishing resources campaigning alongside NGOs and international organizations.
On this occasion, Relais & Châteaux’s chefs have partnered with Bloom Association to mobilise against electric fishing in Europe by signing a petition that was presented to the European Parliament. Speaking about the cause Olivier Roellinger, Vice-President of Relais & Châteaux, said “Relais & Châteaux chefs are committed to safeguarding humanity’s largest pantry: the sea.”
Chefs are an essential part in the fight to preserve fishing resources and Relais & Châteaux’s chefs aim to do this on a daily basis, with a particular emphasis on environmentally friendly fishing techniques. Christopher Coutanceau, chef of the Restaurant Christopher Coutanceau in La Rochelle, France, is the spokesperson for Relais & Châteaux on sustainable fishing taking part in the initial debates organized by Bloom Association, bringing together fishermen, scientists and business leaders. A plenary vote on changing the law will take place on January 16th, 2018.
Below is a list of Relais & Châteaux chefs from the UK and Ireland who have signed the petition. You can find a full list of international chefs, that are part of Relais & Châteaux here.
- Michael Caines, Lympstone Manor
- Hrishikesh Desai, Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
- Damien Bastiat, Ballyfin Demesne
- Margaret Bowe, Marlfield house
- Seamus Crotty, Sheen Falls Lodge
- Arnaud Bignon, The Greenhouse
- Raymond Blanc, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons
- Jean-François Imbert, Midsummer House
- Lisa Allen, Northcote
- Kevin Brooke, Cliveden House
- Simon Franks, Buckland Manor
- Duncan Fraser, Greywalls Hotel
- Nick Hanson, The Idle Rocks
- Luke Matthews, Chewton Glen Hotel
- Claire Randall, Lucknam Park
- Paul Shanahan, Gidleigh Park
- Andrew Thomason, Gravetye Manor
- Steven Titman, Summer Lodge Country House Hotel
We are sure like us that electric fishing is not something many readers will know a great deal about, if not here’s some background information from Wikipedia.