After the 2020 Roux Scholarship was put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Roux Family have decided to rearrange the competition to March 2021.
The 18 regional finalists, as well as the first reserve, selected at the paper judging stage in March 2020 will automatically qualify as regional finalists for 2021 and cook their recipes for hake, palourde clams and leeks in the regional cook-offs at University College Birmingham and at the University of West London on 4th March 2021.
The judges will be Michel Roux Jr, Alain Roux, Brian Turner, Clare Smyth, Angela Hartnett, Rachel Humphrey, James Martin, Sat Bains (1999 Scholar), André Garrett (2002 Scholar) and Simon Hulstone (2003 Scholar).
The six most successful chefs will be selected to compete in the national final on 29th March 2021, when Honorary President of Judges Björn Frantzén, from three-star Michelin Restaurant Frantzén in Stockholm, will lead the panel of judges. There will be no application process in 2021.
Chairman Alain Roux said: “Having to close down the competition this year, as well as our restaurants, has dealt a double blow. But optimism and resilience define our industry and the same is true of the Scholarship. We’ve set dates to reconvene next spring and so the excitement continues! We cannot wait to find our 2020/2021 Scholar. Meanwhile, I would like to thank all our fantastic competitors, judges, sponsors and supporters for their patience and support. Keep safe and see you soon!”
Co-chairman Michel Roux Jr said: “Everyone in hospitality is working furiously towards reopening and in many cases to keep afloat. It’s only right that the scholarship is postponed to 2021, when hopefully we will all be in a much better place to complete the competition and celebrate together as family and friends.”
THE CHEFS COMPETING IN LONDON:
- Benjamin Champkin, Roganic, London
- Caer Timberlake, Restaurant 22, Cambridge
- Ryan Baker, Corinthia, London
- Julian Elkjaer, Whatley Manor, Wiltshire
- Oli Williamson, The Greenhouse, London
- Conor Bird, House of Commons, London
- Christos Sidiropoulos, The Ritz, London
- Stephen McClarty, Restaurant Associates, London
- Tobias Smith, The Leathersellers Company, London
- Olivia Catherine Burt, Claridge’s, London
- Michael Cruickshank, Bohemia, Jersey
- Oliver Dovey, BaxterStorey Fine Dining, London
THE CHEFS COMPETING IN BIRMINGHAM:
- Scott Braithwaite, L’Enclume, Cartmel, Cumbria
- Jonathan Ferguson, The Raby Hunt Restaurant,
- Oliver Marlow, Roganic, London
- Curtis Tonge, Northcote, Lancashire
- Jac Webster, Angel at Hetton, Yorkshire
- Joshua Fulcher, Restaurant 22, Cambridge
We would like to wish all the chefs taking part in 2021 the very best of luck in a competition that literally changes lives.
Roux Scholarship 2020 2021 – 27 July 2020 – Roux Scholarship 2020 2021