To my mind dates are underused far too much, except in the Middle East where they are revered. Their sweetness when paired with a salty ingredient like feta work so well together.
This salad is a great favourite of mine; it is an excellent way to start a meal.
Venere black rice is often known also as purple rice.
- 75g walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped
- 200g baby spinach leaves, well washed
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 120g good quality ready to eat dates
- 75g feta cheese
- 150g VENERE RICE
- 1 small red chili, deseeded, finely chopped
For the mint-cumin dressing
- 3tb white wine vinegar
- 6tb olive oil
- 1tb fresh lemon juice
- Handful of roughly torn mint leaves
- Sea salt, good pinch of ground cumin
- Place the venere rice in a small pan, add 350ml water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cook for 25-30 minutes until just tender
- Drain in a colander and allow to cool.
- To make the dressing…
- Place all the ingredients, except the mint leaves, in a bowl, whisk together, add the torn mint leaves, season to taste season to taste.
- To prepare the salad, place the spinach leaves in a bowl, add the dates, cooked black rice , chili ,red onions and walnuts and season lightly with salt and pepper
- Add enough dressing and toss gently together
- Dress in a salad bowl, then grate the feta over the salad liberally then serve.
For more information and recipes from Riso Gallo click here