We recently received a selection of recipes from Steve Groves, Head Chef Roux at Parliament Square and today we are delighted to publish the forth, enjoy…
Pumpkin Tart, Maple and Pecan Crumble Recipe
Ingredients (for the pastry)
- 125g Unsalted butter, 1cm dice
- Pinch of salt
- 250g Plain flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- A little water if necessary
Ingredients (for the glaze)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Whole Milk
Method (for the pastry)
- Rub the butter and salt into the flour either on a work bench or in an electric mixer until you have a sandy texture.
- Add the egg and Yolk and mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Add a little water if its too dry.
- The Pastry should be smooth but be careful not to over mix.
- Shape into a ball and flatten with your palm, wrap in cling film then place in the fridge to rest for at least an hour.
- Pre Heat to Pre heat oven to 170 °c.
- Roll the pastry on a floured surface and use it to line 22 cm loose bottom flan tin.
- Allow to rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Dock the bottom with a fork then blind bake for minutes, using grease proof paper and baking beans to keep the edges and bottom pressed against the tin.
- Remove the paper and baking beans and return to the over for another 5 minutes, it should then be lightly golden.
- Beat the egg and milk together.
- Brush the inside of the case with the egg wash and bake for 2 minutes, repeat the egg wash and bake for 2 minutes again.
- It is now time to add the filling.
Ingredients (for the filling)
- 750g Butternut squash
- 500 ml Whole milk
- 4 Eggs
- 100g Caster sugar
- ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground nutmeg
Method (for the filling)
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and score the flesh almost to the skin in a criss-cross.
- Roast the squash at 170° for around 30 minutes until tender and slightly caramelized, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 140°c.
- Scoop out the Butternut squash flesh and weigh 500g.
- Blend the milk and squash in a food processor or blender until smooth, mix in the remaining ingredients and fill the tart case.
- It’s best to do this whilst the case is in the oven, if possible.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set with a slight wobble.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Ingredients (for the crumble topping)
- 125g self raising flour
- 125g sugar
- 80g Porridge oats
- 80g crushed pecan nuts
- 125g butter
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- ½ tbsp hot water
- ¼ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
Method (for the crumble)
- Pre heat the oven to 170°
- Mix the flour, sugar, oats and nuts in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the butter, syrup and water until fully melted.Stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Pour this onto the dry mix and mix throughly
- Spread onto a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stir the crumble and bake for a further 5 minutes until evenly golden.
- Allow to cool.
- Crumble this mix over the pie before portioning.
Recipe by Steve Groves Head Chef Roux at Parliament Square