International hotel group Relais & Châteaux have announced ‘Menus for Change’ globally including six of their British hotel’s as part of Slow Food’s Food for Change campaign.
Taking place from 4th – 7th October 2018 in 100 of Relais & Châteaux’s properties worldwide, chefs will prepare Slow Food validated menus for guests to experience in their restaurants. Through Menus for Change, Relais & Châteaux hopes to inspire people around the world to be more mindful about our food system, which is responsible for 30% of greenhouse gas emissions.
Dishes will showcase sustainable ingredients that will help combat climate change and protect biodiversity, highlighting the association’s commitment to preserving local heritage and the environment.
The Food for Change campaign aims to create awareness of Slow Food’s mission to inspire change for good, clean and fair food for all. Six properties in the UK and Ireland are taking part: The Idle Rocks, Cornwall – Palé Hall, North Wales – Sheen Falls Lodge, Ireland – Summer Lodge, Dorset – Chewton Glen, Hampshire – Glenapp Castle, Scotland.
One of the recipes is featured below.
Loin of Dorset Hogget, Smoked Potato Puree, Tagine Jus
Menus for Change – Summer Lodge
- 4 portions Hogget loin
- 2 large Maris piper potatoes
- 100g Smoked butter
- 200ml Whipping cream
- 200g Curly Kale (or cabbage)
- 50g dried apricots, sliced
- 40g Smoked Almonds, broken
- 150ml Lamb jus
- Tagine Spice Mix
- ¼ tsp Cumin seed
- ¼ tsp Coriander seed
- ¼ tsp Paprika powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- Small pinch Cinnamon powder
- Small pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Begin by grinding together the seeds and spices for the spice mix and set aside.
- For the smoked potato, bake the potatoes until completely soft before removing the flesh from the skin and pushing it through a fine sieve. Melt the butter and cream together and slowly add to the potato until the desired consistency is reached, season with salt and pepper.
- Steam the kale until it’s tender but still green and al dente.
- For the hogget, roast the loin for 6-8 minutes and allow it to rest.
- Bring the lamb jus to the boil and add in a pinch of the tagine spice mix and sliced apricots.
- To serve, spoon or pipe the smoked potato onto the plate, add the kale and place the Hogget on top. Pour over the sauce and finish with the broken smoked almonds.