Vegetarian Foodservice Recipe: Meat Free Mince Tacos with Guacamole
Recent research shows that more than 5% of the UK population are vegetarian, that’s 3 million diners. These diners need vegetarian menu options and frequent the venues that provide vegetarian menu options.
Fry’s Family Foods help you to provide vegetarian menu options not just through delicious and nutritious vegetarian food products, with easy to follow menu ideas too.
- 500g Fry’s Meat Free Mince (1.5 boxes)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp. hot paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 6 tbsp. tomato purée
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the guacamole
- 4 mild chillies, finely chopped
- bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- ½ lime, juice only
- 3 ripe avocados
For the salsa
- 250g fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 mild chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- lime juice, to taste
- 12 taco shells
- 1 cucumber, sliced into thin batons
- spring onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
- For the beef filling, fry the mince in a frying pan over a medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking it up with a wooden spoon, or until browned. Add the onion, green pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the paprika and cumin and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour in the beef stock and tomato purée and mix well. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for the guacamole, use a pestle and mortar to pound the chillies, coriander, tomatoes, onion and salt to a fine paste. Alternatively use a mini food processor. Loosen the consistency by stirring in the lime and a splash of water. Cut the avocados in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh. Mash the avocadoes with a fork then mix with the paste. For the salsa, combine all the salsa ingredients together in a bowl.
- To serve, place the taco shells on a baking tray and warm them in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Spoon the beef filling into the warm taco shells, spoon over the guacamole and salsa and garnish with cucumber and spring onions.
Visit our website here