Exclusive recipe from Michelin-starred chef Michel Roux Jr.
The king of classics, Michel Roux Jr takes comfort food to a new level with this warming stew using top of the cods – sustainable Skrei – from the cold, clear waters of Northern Norway. Totally moreish family fodder, best served straight at the the whole table to tuck into.
- Prep: 20 mins (plus 5 hours minimum soaking time for beans)
- Cook: 1hr 25mins
- 3 thick Norwegian Skrei fillets (deboned and skinned) from Whole Food Market, Selfridges, Booths, Harrods and quality fishmongers
- 175g cooking chorizo
- 2 small white onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 70g cavolo nero, roughly chopped
- 125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 sprig thyme
- 200ml fish stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the cannellini beans (best prepared the day before):
- 240g dried cannellini beans
- 1 carrot, peeled
- ½ shallot
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the beans (ideally the day before): Soak the beans in cold water for at least 5 hours. Once doubled in size, drain and rinse. Place in a large pan with the veggies, season and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, scoop off any foam and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover pan and cook for approximately 1 hour, adding more water if it gets too low. Once tender, strain and discard the cooked carrot and shallot.
- Slice the chorizo in bitesize morsels. Sear in a frying pan over med-high heat for 3 minutes on each side (no fat needed). Remove chorizo from pan and set aside on kitchen paper.
- Use the fat left in pan to sear the onions, garlic and cavolo nero. Cook for about 4 minutes until tender. Then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes until softened.
- Finally, add the cooked beans, chorizo, thyme and stock together with the Skrei. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for approximately 8 minutes. Season to taste and discard the sprig of thyme before serving.
To serve: Take the dish straight to the table for everyone to tuck into, topping a good bed of the stew with a chunky Skrei cod fillet.
Michelin-star chef Michel Roux Jr comments: ”As a chef, I am always looking for exceptional ingredients, Skrei cod is one of those that never lets me down. Skrei is so versatile and that’s why I love cooking with it. Whether it’s a French classic or a more contemporary dish, its quality always shines through. I am proud and honoured to be an Ambassador for what I consider to be one of the finest products of the sea“
For more information about Norwegian Seafood Council click here