The UK’s top 10 fish and chip restaurants have been announced as part of the 2016 National Fish & Chip Awards, organised by Seafish.
The Top 10
- Chesters in Chesterfield, Derbyshire;
- Drakes Fisheries in York, North Yorkshire;
- Fylde Fish Bar in Southport, Merseyside;
- Hanbury’s Famous Fish and Chips in Torquay, Devon;
- No 1 Cromer in Cromer, Norfolk;
- Papa’s Fish and Chips in Willerby, East Yorkshire;
- Something Else Fishy in Milborne Port, Somerset;
- The Scallop Shell in Bath, Somerset;
- Trenchers Restaurant in Whitby, North Yorkshire
- The Tailend Restaurant in St Andrews, Fife
The restaurants will now ‘batter’ it out as they vie for the Independent Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award and aim to claim the title of best fish and chip restaurant in the UK.
To get to this stage and secure a place in the coveted shortlist, the restaurants have been appraised across a variety of judging criteria including responsible sourcing policies restaurant appearance and facilities, staff training and development policies, marketing and promotional activity and how they cater for customers with specific dietary requirements. They also received mystery shopping judging assessments by industry experts to ascertain the quality of the fish and chips on offer and the levels of customer service provided by staff.
Over the coming weeks, the restaurants will be subjected to further mystery judging evaluations and in-depth judging audits. This next stage of the competition will whittle down the top 10 to establish the UK top five restaurants that will compete for the top accolade at the 2016 awards ceremony.
Culminating in an awards ceremony at The Lancaster London Hotel on 20 January 2016, The National Fish & Chip Awards are recognised as one of the most prominent and respected seafood industry events in the UK. Widely considered as the ‘Oscars’ of the fish frying industry, they celebrate the great British tradition of fish and chips, recognising the best talent, quality and choice offered by fish and chip businesses.
For more information click here
Follow us on Twitter @FishnChipAwards